Akkroo is a dynamic and fast paced tech startup, addressing the broken methods around collecting and processing leads from events. We are the pioneers of Event Lead Capture, offering a quality solution that connects events, sales and marketing for businesses all over the world.
We’re 5 years into our journey, having developed our platform and established global success. You would be joining a mature startup which has roots and a foundation, but still huge scope for growth and innovation. When better to get involved with a company?
We’re on the hunt for a DevOps Specialist, to work with our existing part-time team to make substantial physical progress towards implementing scalable cloud infrastructure within the first few months of getting started in the role.
This is a huge opportunity, and offers a chance to start the process of transforming a growing startup infrastructure into the modern, scalable and secure platform we need as our business star continues to rise. You’ll be welcomed into an already stellar team, working together to create a new category of Event Lead Capture software with a clear vision of the future.
There are three main areas where this role will be taking ownership:
- Managing and developing our cloud based system infrastructure
- Service uptime and performance metrics
- Security, scalability & reliability of cloud platform
Of course variety is the spice of life, so you can also expect to:
- Research, plan, design and build a scalable, reliable, secure and performant cloud based infrastructure for a modern SaaS solution deployed on mobile, web and as APIs
- Maintain our present server infrastructure (patch, monitor availability & overall health)
- Ensure and advocate redundancy, scalability and security in all our work
- Take ownership of disaster recovery and backup strategies
- Take ownership of prioritising, responding to and handling server issues
- Manage the day to day relationship between us and our part time remote SysAdmin team
- Help us define the vision of DevOps and cloud system administration at Akkroo looks like as we develop as a business and solution
Given our size, the scope of this role and where we are in our journey the impact you could have here is enormous — that’s got to be something that excites you! You’ll need to be hands on, dedicated and reliable with a number of years experience building scalable cloud infrastructure. Underpinning this will be your fantastic communication skills and growth mindset!
Our ideal candidate will have been part of this journey before: of a small, fast growing company building out it’s infrastructure to meet the demand of a growing audience and needing to establish a firm, secure, reliable and scalable base upon which to build. Someone who communicates well with engineering, cloud providers and the broader team, and is happy to roll their sleeves up to build and support key system infrastructure as we start to build out our first dedicated DevOps function.
Let’s get to the nitty gritty of what we need:
Hard skills we need for this role…
- 4+ years in a technical role such as Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, Sys Admin or equivalent in production cloud environments, delivering customer-facing web applications and/or online services
- Knowledge and experience of AWS (SQS, S3) or other cloud platforms
- Experience with both MongoDB and MySQL administration
- Jenkins / TravisCI or equivalent
- Linux (we use Ubuntu)
- Monitoring tools (we use DataDog)
- Shell script programming
- Docker / Ansible / Puppet / Chef / Kubernertes
- Experienced in 'Infrastructure as Code'/IaaS practices
- Experience with at least one programming language
The soft skills needed to thrive in this role…
- Technology agnostic mindset with a proven experience to identify and learn new systems, languages and frameworks
- Great communication skills
- If remote, demonstrable experience of having worked remotely successfully
Why work here?
We’re looking to pay a starting salary of £60,000 for this role. We are committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow, so you’ll be rewarded for being an amazing employee and contributing to our growth!
A lot of places boast a great culture, but what’s going on here is really second to none (you have to see it to believe it). You would join an incredibly friendly but high achieving team. We have a set of core values which define us and shape our tribe, if they resonate with you then we could be on to something.
You can also enjoy…
- Tech/ work tools: We supply you with the best hardware so you can focus on the tasks at hand. We’ll hook you up with a MacBook on your first day, and we’ll sort out getting any additional hardware you need as you get settled.
- Equity: Akkroo is still small, so our new team members have the opportunity to own a slice of the pie through our share options scheme.
- Social: You can enjoy monthly team lunches (we’ll get the bill), various fun events and a company which genuinely gets on well with each other.
- Holiday: We’re all adults here, so we’ll trust you to decide how much holiday you want to take (with a minimum of 24 days).
- Pay: We’re committed to paying competitively so you’re not worried about making a living whilst you’re here.
- Life perks: Discounts on gym membership, cinema, high street brands and cycle-scheme.
- Food and drink: Fully stocked fruit bowls to keep you healthy, free breakfast options
- Learning perks: You’ll get a book budget, so treat yourself to your next reads on us.
We’re still small, and all our new team members are given the chance to own their own slice of the company through our share options scheme.
Work from our fantastic office in Brixton, London. We have a bright, open plan office with a small kitchen area - plus use of a larger shared kitchen in the building.
You choose how much holiday you want to take (with a minimum of 24 days a year). If you need to take some more, you can.
We pay well to make sure you’re not worrying about making a living while working at Akkroo. We also are committed to ratcheting salaries as we grow.
Socials & monthly lunches
We do quarterly socials together, as well as a monthly team lunch we all get together and go out for something to eat (and it costs you nothing).
Free fruit, coffee & breakfast
We keep a barista-style coffee machine in the office, provide as much tea as you can muster, and keep the kitchen well-stocked with free cereal, toast, milk and fruit.
Great work tools
We supply our team with the best hardware so they can focus on the tasks at hand. You’ll get your own Macbook Pro, plus any extras you’ll need to make your work life easier, such as extra screens, external keyboards, magic mouse… maybe even your own notebook and pen.
Everyone is given a Perkbox membership, which gives high street discounts on health and fitness, shopping, restaurants, travel, cinema, and other great out-of-office activities.
We provide all team members with a quarterly book-buying budget, as well as plenty of opportunities to attend relevant conferences, meet-ups and events that will help you continually get better at what you do.